7.31.2009

Lightning Bolt- Hypermagic Mountain





Lightning Bolt is epic. Upon their discovery, I crapped my pants. No use of clever written language could explain this better than my lackluster and blunt statement. I crapped my pants for god sake.

Hailing from Providence, Rhode Island this band helped define the noise scene in RISD. Not that I know much about that scene in the first place, but it all made perfect sense to me upon listening. I don't think I've heard music this cohesively brutal, experimental, loud and tasteful before, but even if I had it doesn't lessen the immense ownage of Lightning Bolt. The sounds presented are all extremely organic and doesn't sound like a pile of crappy Steve Vai-saturated scales played over a shitty drum machine. However, there is a huge dosage of technicality displayed. It doesn't sound sloppy, but I think it probably takes alot of effort in order to make sense of Gibson's octave-bending bass playing and Chippendale's obscenely fast and loud drumming; drumming that sounds like... really fast blast beats, ride crashes and sickening snare rolls that sound nothing like The Locust or Hella. Hell yes.

So what does the album actually sound like? It sounds like a shit-load of noise and two guys spontaneously combusting for 41.8 minutes without a pause. What does that mean?

It's over 9000!!!

  1. "2 Morro Morro Land" – 3:43
  2. "Captain Caveman" – 3:19
  3. "Birdy" – 3:06
  4. "Riffwraiths" – 3:03
  5. "Megaghost" – 6:01
  6. "Magic Mountain" – 4:55
  7. "Dead Cowboy" – 7:58
  8. "Bizarro Zarro Land" – 4:47
  9. "Mohawkwindmill" – 9:38
  10. "Bizarro Bike" – 5:18
  11. "Infinity Farm" – 2:46
  12. "No Rest for the Obsessed" – 2:10



No comments:

Post a Comment