5.08.2009

Dirty Projectors - Rise Above

Dirty Projectors - Rise Above
2007; Dead Oceans; Brooklyn, NY


I've been meaning to talk about this album since the moment me and Adrian launched this site. And it probably sits as more important and more interesting then a lot of the stuff I have reviewed before it. But every time I've sat down to write about it I hit a block... I don't really have much to say about it. I just enjoy it to ridiculous extents. What does an eight year old say when you ask him about sugar? "Well... it makes me smile. And then I run around a lot. And then I would like some more. And its tasty and stuff." Its kind of like that. Some how David Longstreth's unkempt voice shooting up and down the scale on top of jolty finger picked guitar just makes me happy. The whole thing seems to pull you in different directions, it starts and stops and curbs at weird times. The two back up singers have beautiful voices, which seems almost out of place next to David's. It feels as if two of the villages most prised damsels decided to hang around Frankenstein's lab. And hell, if David Longstreth figured out how to create make-shift life I wouldn't be too surprised. The guy is really fucking smart.

The album also has an interesting concept, but for the most part its unimportant. You can look it up if your interested, but really know about it or not doesn't change the listening experience much at all.

So that's it. All I have to say. For the rest, the music will have to speak for itself.

1. What I See
2. No More
3. Depression
4. Six Pack
5. Thirsty And Miserable
6. Police Story
7. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
8. Spray Paint (The Walls)
9. Room 13
10. Rise Above

and i'm gonna have my chance

No comments:

Post a Comment