4.28.2009

How Fucking Romantic


This is not a review of The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs. I am  going to do a review of 69 Love Songs but I don't know when. It takes, I think, an average of two weeks for me to really grasp an album. For me to completely absorb the music and fully understand the impact of the record. It sometimes can take a shorter or longer amount of time (the low is probably two listens for The Shins' Oh Inverted World, the high being two years for Odelay by Beck) but two weeks is where the needle generally rests. 69 Love Songs is actually 69 songs long. Over three discs. Less than eight minutes under three hours in total. So I'm guessing its going to take me at least a month and a half before I have the damn thing down enough to tell you all about it here. Normally this would be ok. No one is holding there breath for me to write it, another month or two would be totally fine, especially since the album came out ten years ago. But I don't want to wait until then to tell you about the nifty little site that got me interested in the big album to begin with. 

howfuckingromantic.wordpress.com was probably conceived of in a cafe. Some people sitting around, talking about how much they love The Magnetic Fields and sipping expertly roasted, probably quite expensive, espresso. Thinking about how someone should really make a comic book based off 69 Love Songs, how it would be the perfect way to get across the half-serious deepness of that album. And, hell, Belle & Sebastian already did something along the same lines. And then they sat up and remembered that they and lots of people they new were artists and how they didn't have to wait for someone else to pull off this scheme.

Starting on April 8 howfuckingromatic.wordpress.com has set out to create a come for all 69 songs. They've been putting up a couple new ones every week and so far they've pretty consistently portrayed the true emotions of each song incredibly. 

let's pretend we're bunny rabbits

No comments:

Post a Comment