6.21.2009

Siver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers

Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers
2005; Drag City; New York City
A week ago I find myself siting on the swings describing to a girl my self reflective concept on happiness being overrated. How, even though I by definition love being happy, I believe that I think better thoughts when I am depressed, I am humbler, I am more artistic, more creative, how I can see situations clearer, how I am more of the person I want to be. And how maybe being happy isn't worth giving that all up. She tells me that in her life she has many times found herself in places lower that. Down to a point below the reserved self examining depression, past the poetic point, past the doldrums into a place of crippling despair. And she said that just maybe she wants to try out happiness for now. By this point in time the bulk of my neurons are irreversibly linked to music and upon hearing this my mind immediately snapped to "There is a place past the blues I never want to see again."

Later sitting in my alcove in the garage I reflected on the event and it occurred to me again "there is a place past the blues I never want to see again." in circular repetition for half a song. What an odd forward phrase and how perfectly it sums up the emotion.

The closing song on Tanglewood Numbers says "There is a place past the blues I never want to see again" and it says it again and it swells and it begs and it circles and then it stops and when it starts up again its with a chant of "I saw God's shadow on this world"
I saw God's shadow on this world.
With this song he leaves behind casts away himself, his life shown through the rest of the album devoted to that place. He never wants to see it again, and as the album is done so is he. And after the final beat lays rest he goes on to make the happiest album he ever recorded and then at the end of january of this year, retire permanently from music. There is a place past the blues I never want to see again.

And I think, yes, I have been to that place and yes it feels like death and yes, I never I never want to see it again. The blues are hard enough. And though I hope never once more in my life to see the place of tanglewood numbers I am glad this brilliant literary album exists to remind me how it felt.

1. Punks in the Beerlight
2. Sometimes a Pony Gets Depressed
3. K-Hole
4. Animal Shapes
5. I'm Getting Back Into Getting Back Into You
6. How Can I Love You If You Won't Lie Down
7. The Poor, The Fair and The Good
8. Sleeping is the Only Love
9. The Farmer's Hotel
10. There is a Place


i could not love the world entire

No comments:

Post a Comment